Saturday, April 6, 2013

Easter sunrise

Yesterday I wrote way too much, so today I'll balance it out by posting way too many photos. :-)
 
When I got to the aqueduct, I was surprised to find a brand-new sign up. I took a photo of it, but since it was very difficult to see in the near-darkness anyway, I decided to pretend I hadn't noticed it, and climbed up on the aqueduct anyway. (And for those who know how to figure out the time stamp on here and bother to check, yes, I know it says 5:21, but the camera clock runs fast AND we'd gone onto Daylight Savings Time in the night, so it was actually about 6:10.)

The children and I have been on the aqueduct several times. It's not something for anyone who's afraid of heights, but I do think it's fairly safe if one isn't being stupid. I've actually felt better about having toddlers up there than certain older children, since the sides of the channel come up well past their waists, but only to just past my knees...

I didn't go very far before I found a slightly wider place where I could sit down cross-legged, facing the Salt Lake. The bright lights towards the right are the airport.

From where I was sitting, I couldn't really take a decent photo of where the sun would actually rise, though, so I moved further along.





This view down the channel of the aqueduct looks like a rather large passageway, I think...

...but a photo with my feet (which are sticking straight out in front of me, because there wasn't room here to sit cross-legged) puts it more in the correct perspective.

The photos totally don't do justice to the beauty, and the half hour I was up there I couldn't help but sing "All heaven declares the glory of the risen Lord" about five times, as well as "Christ the Lord is Risen Today", "Low in the Grave He Lay", and even Sandi Patty's "Was it a Morning Like This?" and I think a couple of others. (Don't worry, nobody could hear me!)
 
The sky is getting noticably lighter here, at 6:27:

6:28...

6:30...

6:30 slightly north...


6:32...

6:34...

A photo of the other side (north-ish) of the aqueduct...

Looking down at the marshy land underneath the aqueduct...


Sunrise! 6:39 for peeping over houses, which isn't too far off from the official time, which I think was 6:37.

A final photo from the aqueduct, at 6:40:
 
I didn't cross the aqueduct, just went back down the way I'd gone up. Couldn't help seeing the sign now. I think it's silly, for several reasons. For one, nothing is blocked off, which, if they really want to keep people off, they ought to do. For another, people who are likely to be careful are now less likely to go up (I may not have a lot of respect for silly rules, but I DO try not to disobey them when my children are watching...), and since it's now "not allowed", I think it might become something that people showing off and daring each other to do might do, which COULD be dangerous. But I digress, as usual.
 

It's impossible to get the whole aqueduct in one photo from where I was, but here's a lot of it. I think I was at about the second arch from the right.

The Salt Lake trail.

And finally...two photos to illustrate why March is known as "the yellow month." The colors were actually much brighter, but the overcast day made them look kind of dull on the photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment